Scroll to content
The Windsor Boys' School home page

The Windsor Boys' School

Uno Animo

Contact us

History of The Windsor Boys' School

The Windsor Boys’ School has been at the forefront of educating boys (and occasionally girls) for over 100 years. Our tradition in preparing boys for the challenges of the world which they face has been sustained through many changes, which has seen the school evolve from the Windsor County Boys’ School, The Windsor Grammar School and now The Windsor Boys’ School.


The early years 1908 – 1921 (Mr G H Wade, Mr F Morrow)

1908 : ​School formed at Trinity Place


1921 - 1930 (Mr SR Gibson, Mr S Gammon)

1921 : ​​School house system initiated, named after LCJ Burnett, JR Lambdin, JA Ottrey and LF Woodland, boys who fell in the Great War.  Competition to design the new school crest for the prize of ‘Uno Animo’ won by N Bigden

​1922​ : School age rose to 18 for the more able boys

1923​​ : The first University scholarships were attained



The Fairhurst Years 1930-1958 (Mr H Fairhurst MBE)

1939​​ : Creation of new school buildings and the move to Maidenhead Road site

1940 : ​​Clapham High School for Girls evacuated to Windsor County Boys’ School

1940 : The Windsor Boys’ School Boat Club was founded  by members of Eton Excelsior Rowing Club, in an attempt to keep their club active during the Second World War.

1950’s : The club had moved into its present boathouse on the River Thames, adjacent to the school’s playing fields.



1958-1977 (Mr GS Parker)

1958​​ : School colours ties awarded, Prefect system set up with a School Captain, 1st XV rugby jersey re-designed, house prefect system introduced.

1960s : The success of the boatclub soared in the mid 1960s, with an eight competing at the Henley Royal Regatta in the Princess Elizabeth Challenge Cup.

1959 : ​​Four new houses initiated, named after OW’s who fell in the Second World War AW Allen, R Burgess, RJ Ford and KE Warwick

1962 : ​​Current ‘Geography block’ and assembly hall built

1964 : ​​ Field Marshall Viscount Slim K.G. opens new building

1976 : ​​Administration block and language buildings built



1977-1996 (Mr PA Blake OBE)

1977​​ : First non-selective intake (Formation of The Windsor Boys’ School).

1988​​ : GCSE examinations introduced.

1992 : The Henley Royal Regatta instituted a race for Under-19 quadruple sculls, The Fawley Challenge Cup. Our record in this prestigious event is unrivaled by any other school club, with five consecutive wins (1994-98) plus a win in a new course time in 2017 to date and many other finals appearances.

1994 : ​​‘New Building’ housing Sports Hall, Drama Studios, Music rooms, ICT suites, 6th form area and the history department was opened by Her Majesty The Queen and rowing quad win 1st of 5 consecutive Fawley Challenge Cup titles at Henley Royal Regatta.

1995 : ​​All weather playing surface with floodlights opens on former 1st XV rugby pitch.



1997-2010 (Mr J.B. Dawkins)

2002 : The school became a specialist Arts College and a national leader in the provision of vocational education. The number of boys going on to University topped one hundred per year and the percentage of 5 A* – C grades at GCSE rose to over 90%. OFSTED deemed the school “outstanding” in all categories of its inspection.

2008 : During the 2008 – 2009 Season the Under-Eighteen Windsor Boys’ Quad was selected to represent England at the Home Countries International regatta.

2009 : ​School centenary celebrated with a series of events, culminating in a gala dinner.



2010 - 2013 (Mr T Willis, Mr J Clauson)

2010 : The school became a member of the International Boys’ School Coalition with many famous schools across the Globe. School offered International Baccalaureate for the first time.

2010 :  A Windsor Boys’ School rower was selected to represent Great Britain at the Coupe de la Jeunesse European Rowing Championship where he won both a bronze and gold medal.

2012 : The J16 quad won all three National Titles, qualifying to race at Henley Royal Regatta, following which they gained selection to the U16 Great Britain Team winning a gold medal.



2013 - Present (Mr G Henderson, Ms L Reznikova, Mr S Furness)

2013 : In July the J18 Quad reached the final of the Fawley Challenge Cup at Henley Royal Regatta.

2015 : In March the school became an academy and formed the Windsor Learning Partnership with the Windsor Girls’ School.

2017 : In April the U16 football team won the National Schools Cup; In July the J18 Quad won the Fawley Challenge Cup at Henley Royal Regatta setting a new record time of 6 minutes 34 seconds.

2018 : In July the J18 Quad successfully defended the Fawley Challenge Cup at Henley Royal Regatta and set a new record time of 6 minutes 27 seconds.

2020:  Unprecedented in the school's history, The Windsor Boys' School closed on 20th March 2020 and moved to online learning due to the Covid pandemic.  

2022: At Henley Royal Regatta, in a remarkable achievement, The Windsor Boys' School won The Fawley Challenge Cup and created history with the second boat making the final too.